|Making a circle with pen, thread and drawing pin|
I started to bead and embroider velvet sections to go onto the bag - one of the youtubers who demonstrated their bought bag online kindly told me that the "official" facsimile bag has eight sections of velvet material and so I made those separately, and then sewed them onto the bag.
Once all the velvet sections were sewn onto the bag I began to embroider between the sections. On the official bag these sections seem to be quite crude straight embroidery, but I made mine a bit more magical with swirls and spirals.
I beaded every other one - I was beginning to worry about the weight of the bag, which is bigger than the facsimile and of a heavier more sturdy material.
I made a base plate out of cardboard covered with fabric and joined a tassel to the middle of that and embroidered it. I had a lot of problems working out how to attach it. From looking at the facsimile I think the sections are gathered a bit before being attached to the base plate, but that looked terrible, so I just went for a straightforward attachment.
I'm leaving the silken cords very long for the moment. Kate is coming to stay tomorrow, and so I will check with her to see how long she'd ideally like them. Apart from some extra beading around the baseplate and the edge, I think it is more or less done!